Monday, November 8, 2010

A surgery story!

I guess it's time to share my story about the experience in the hospital. First of all if you haven't been following my blog i had my surgery at the Northridge Hospital in Northridge.

                                              Courtesy of Goggle.

It's quite big and about 25 minutes from my house. My surgeon was Dr. Kerner and his partner Dr. Accomozzo (I highly recommend them.) They made me feel as comfortable as i could be from the very beginning. 

So on Friday the 5th i arrived at 8:30am to the surgery station. They already had my wrist band with all my information ready. I just had to go to the second surgery station to my bed. It was very scary all the bed's
lined up and a few patients recovering or getting ready for surgery. The nurse's were very nice gave me my
bear paw gown and socks. Started getting me ready with paperwork and all those fun stuff. I was still
really calm (which i still don't know how i did it) because the calmness that i had was very admirable
specially that the surgery was my biggest fear. (I was terrified of the surgery i didn't know if my body would be able to handle it and i just kept thinking if maybe that was the end of me) But i managed all the prayers
helped me to let go of my fears in that instant.

After-wards the nurses started to get me very anxious because they couldn't find my vein it went from Katherine to, Jill and Mary to try one after the other poking me to start the Ivy, they even used a vein finder and still couldn't do it.  So it frustrated me i started seeing it as a sign that maybe i shouldn't do it. But i still tried to keep my cool. Finally the Anesthesiologist arrived and even he had to give it two tries to finally find my vein. Hurray i was ecstatic that finally they had found it but my arms were already in a lot of pain from them trying. Ming very drowsy but it scared me when he started to grab my arms and put them together with a belt. (I'm claustrophobic and that shit don't fly with me lol) but there wasn't much i could do because the oxygen mask came on before i could even say anything.

From there on everything became a blur it felt like a second. I then woke up in the recovery room i could only make out words. It felt like time was standing still. But a few more nurses came got me ready to take me to my room. The room was pretty spacious but my bed was the worst effiin bed killed my back. Not even all the pillows that i asked for helped.

                                            The worst bed ever (I won't miss you one bit)

 The cable was horrible i couldn't find anything interesting to watch. At least there was a week long marathon of 'The Nanny' so nanny Fran kept me some company!

Worst thing were having the drainage hanging from my neck and the ivy and being woken up every three hours for blood work was horrible. I couldn't eat i still can't because i choke when i try. I was on vicodin, antibiotics and calcium. Even getting up the bathroom was a struggle i would get dizzy. The nurses kept telling me to stay but i wanted out i was so thrilled when Dr. Kerner said that if i wanted to i could leave. So i did said bye bye to that awful bed and now im happy to be home. I know look like a cristal meth user but it's all good.

And that is my surgery story!

3 comments:

  1. Do you have any idea what was the amount of blood collected in the bag?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"m so proud of you, K!!!! you did it! i hope you're feeling better now! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Integrator! I'm not sure but i did noticed that the nurse came to empty it about 4 times before i left the hospital.

    LIAT: thank's girl yeah i sure did and i'm feeling a lot better thanks!

    ReplyDelete