Thursday, October 14, 2010

Yet another issue with my health!

Day's and weeks have gone by and ever since I changed my hbp medication i have felt better than ever i really feel that i have changed my whole life style for the better. Depression is completely out the window i haven't had any anxiety attacks or negative thoughts. I was able to turn all my negative thinking into positive thoughts and it has worked perfectly until now.

Recently with all my health issues my general doctor found a rather small lump on the right side of my neck and sent me to an ENT (ears, nose and throat doctor) he ordered a biopsy which i got done last week on my thyroid located on my neck due to an enlarged goiter (abnormally enlarged thyroid gland) the biopsy was extremely painful needles going in an out of my neck one after another for almost an hour or so. Cell's were gather to check whether this was anything to be concern. I took it lightly and just hoped for the best but irregularities came back!

Yesterday i went back to the (ENT) Doctor to discuss my biopsy results and he gave me frightening news turns out my goiter is no longer a goiter its a tumor that has been growing and (Hurthle cells are present in the tumor. which basically means in the words of my doctor "Hurthle cell's are very alarming since they can be a stage of pre-Cancer," basically there is a higher incidence of cancer if there are Hurthle cells present. The danger with these cells is that they change in appearance from normal to abnormal.
Read more at http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=277024&ktrack=kcplinkyes i said CANCER the word tha no one wants to hear.

The next step to take right away is to get a thyroidectomy (surgecally remove half of my thyroid) in which the tumor lies, that is the only way doctors can know if it's cancer. So you can imagine how im freaking out and im scared because i just don't get why at my age i have so many health issues. This isn't due to a family history of thyroid disease or anything like that.

But i'm having mixed emotions i have no idea what to think im scared a surgery sounds so dangerous so many things could go wrong I'm not being a pessimist but come on i do have to look at the pros and cons. The surgery is dangerous if the doctor makes any mistakes  half of my face could stay paralyze or i could even loose my voice. So im so lost im devastated and so sad now the hbp seems like nothing compared to this.

Tomorrow i will meet the surgeon that would be doing the procedure. But it scared me to even think about all this. I am trying to be strong and think positive but i just don't know what i will do.

Don't get me wrong i have so many things to be thankful for, for once im lucky that they have found this now when its still new rather than later. I'm also extremely thankful for  having insurance and  for having my wonderful supportive family and friends. It really does make a difference.

I don't know how soon i have to get the surgery done but i definitely can't take it for granted.

I have been able to find people who have had thyroid Cancer like actress Sophia Vergara who have been
able to surpass it.

Here is an interview about her Cancer.
http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20411050,00.html
Read more at http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=4342380&ktrack=kcplink

7 comments:

  1. the chance of that tumor to be cancerous is about 17 %

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't worry, girl. you WILL get through this. You just gotta stay positive, stay calm and be smart about it! I'm here for you if you need anything at all! and keep us posted about what's going on! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liat your the best, thanks a lot and i will definitely keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for the record, may I ask how big is the tumor? (I am currently undergoing the subacute thyroiditis after the severe cold:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. O the report reads 3.9 x 3.3 cm! I was reading online that a subacute thyroiditis is an inflamatory to the thyroid what are the symptoms and how are you being treated for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aspirin for 4 weeks and antibiotics for 1 week

    ReplyDelete